1900-1920, Tainan County Magistrate Residence and Multi-Purpose Period
The Tainan County Magistrate Residence was initially planned to serve as the residence for the governor at that time, Imai Konichi (今井艮一). In November 1901, after the Chō administrative system was established, the ministers of Tainan was thus moved to the nearby Tainan Minister’s Residence. During this period, the former magistrate residence building was managed by Tainan Hall. Its “Made in Japan (building)” part was lent to army for use but was changed to serve as the Brigade Magistrate Residence. One of the uses of the Western-style building was as the Book Club for Tainan Hall Members. However, its main name was Tainan Governor's Residence when the governor visited Tainan, and the Imperial Residence when the royal family visited Tainan. From then on it served as the residence for governors and royal family members. Therefore, royal family members including Prince Kan'in Kotohito and his wife stayed in this building during their visit to Tainan.